Friday, February 5, 2016

One Deirdre story--Love is Snowblind

This is a Canine Cupids tale and in honor of the Yukon Quest sled dog race starting tomorrow, I want to feature Love is Snowblind. For those who are not sled dog racing fans like I am, the Yukon Quest is another thousand mile race, less well known but equally tough and challenging with the Iditarod. I follow both since there are women mushers in both races, something I am researching and immersing myself in as much as I can due to a non-fiction book in progress. For info on that project, visit my gwynnmorganalaska.blogspot.com page.

At one point when I began to get really involved in the extreme sport of sled dog racing, or as much as a desert rat could, I intended to write a regular romance set in that environment. I never quite made that happen but then another story took shape and it became Love is Snowblind. I could probably do a better and even more authentic coverage of the mushing community now than I did in 2010 when this story was written and published but I did my best to be as factual and accurate as I could with a minimum of artistic license.

I fell in love with both my heroes and especially with the dogs! The dog pictured in the cover art is a Siberian Husky. They are more the traditional dog we think of when we hear the word "Husky" but now many of the mushers have bred and use dogs called Alaskan Husky, still not a recognized breed, with a lot of different breeds mixed into their pedigrees. They really do not look like the stereotypical "sled dog" at all but that is another story!

Here is the blurb and the cover for Love is Snowblind.

Dylan Norgard is a loner, seeking to heal old wounds as he pursues a newfound dream of training a sled dog team and winning the big one, the Iditarod. Instead of seeking a win in a preliminary race, however, Dylan makes a difficult choice to rescue a stranger lost in a blizzard. This choice and the results throw an unexpected but major change into his solitary life. The question is, can he accept and adapt to these changes?
Grey must prove himself, pursuing his dream of seeing Alaska firsthand and writing about the world of sled dog racing in such a powerful way it will jumpstart his chosen sports-and-feature writing career. Green and naive, he almost pays with his life for a bad decision. Can he learn and grow fast enough to survive in the unforgiving environment and overcome a rocky start with his new hero, musher Dylan Norgard, or has he sold that proverbial outhouse?

The cover, BTW, is the second style we used for the series. I'm not sure which style or layout I liked best!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Warning: Offensive or spam comments will be deleted promptly!